Sunday, July 17, 2016

Prime Time in Rochester

Today I completed four rounds of priming, which chemically encourages my bone marrow to release stem cells into the bloodstream. Tomorrow the harvesting begins. Each morning—for as many as are needed to gather six million stem cells—I'll start my day with five hours of apheresis, where my blood (through intravenous ports) will be circulated through a machine that is clever enough to extract stem cells from everything else.

It's a pretty straight forward operation. After getting set up, I just relax and let the machine do its job. As I went through several rounds of this in Duluth in order to shed my excess plasma cells, I know the drill. I'll be sure to bring a book.

The staff estimates that it will take 2-4 rounds of apheresis to get enough stem cells, after which I should be all set to begin chemotherapy—which starts with the injection of a poison to kill off everything in my bone marrow.

Meanwhile, Susan and I have been settling into a routine during our first week at Transplant House, located just four blocks from the Mayo Clinic. At least at the outset of my visit here I am strong enough to walk to and fro between the two. It's a bit over half a mile one way on fairly level terrain and terrific exercise for my legs and lungs. As a bonus, I've noticed that my peripheral neuropathy (numbness and tingling in my hands and feet) has diminished since my walking has increased. Yay! Because I'm expecting my overall energy to nosedive after I receive the chemo, it's important to keep building strength now to help sustain it as long as I possibly can (I figure it's easier to retain than to recover).

One of the conundrums that Susan and I face is anticipating my food interests after I take the chemo. We've been warned that my sense of taste will be wonky after chemo and that I'm likely to suffer loss of appetite. That's unfortunate because I need to keep eating to maintain strength. My weight is down to 154 as of this morning (from a high of 206 back in October 2014, when I first experienced lower back pain) and the transplant nurses have told us that it's common for stem cell recipients to lose 10-15 lbs over the course of the protocol—an additional droppage that I am loath to shed.

Yesterday we went to a local farmer's market and bought fresh veggies, enough to make a large pot of soup, in anticipation that I'll like soup during recovery. I sure hope I do. Today we went to a grocery store and picked up more ingredients for the what-will-Laird-eat-after-chemotherapy-has-wiped-out-his-taste-buds-and-appetite sweepstakes, which we expect to begin playing sometime next week.

It was great being able to take advantage of the season (mid-July, with lots of stuff available fresh and local), the weather (lower 70s), and my burgeoning stamina to add a two-mile detour onto our walk home after my daily dose of neupogen. Susan and I then had fun cutting up in the kitchen, adding peas, corn, potatoes, carrots, onions, green beans, Great Northerns, and a couple of diced chicken breasts to a base jump-started with some garlic salt, a can of crushed tomatoes, and a box of chicken stock. Yum.

I'm anticipating that the trickiest part of the post-chemo period will be adjusting to the hygiene protocols while I'm immune compromised. Lots of hand washing, teeth cleaning 4x daily (using a sponge-like thing called a "toothette" because a regular toothbrush may cause bleeding), wearing a mask when out in public, and generally being what Elmer Fudd would describe as "wery, wery cautious."

While I'll probably be plenty tired of it by the time I'm past the danger zone (typically 2-3 weeks), there is no way around it; I simply have to go through it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow. Today I am awed by the glimpse you give us of the speed at which you are being cycled through these "seasons". Considering how hard it is on our systems and psyches to do gradual seasons of seed gathering and planting, growing, harvesting and fallow time, I have deep compassion for you as the recipient of new life at the cost of going through this Sci-fi reality.

Thanks for writing about it as you journey through it. Your perspective on things is always a boon to others. Here's wishing you very well, Laird.